Saturday, February 14, 2009

I grew up very involved in my Christian faith and wanted to be a pastor "in-the-world," so I became a manager. My plan was to show people what it was like to be Christian by involving the people who "do the work" in making management decisions. Our group also refused to take things too seriously and had a lot of fun. Whatever job we were given to do, we did sooner and better than anyone expected--and with more laughter.

There were other managers who had a lot of power and kept it by ganging up on anyone they didn't like. Once my group started being successful, they ganged up on us and destroyed our group. The fun was gone and I decided I needed to change careers.

It was like going on a quest because there were so many obstacles in the way. But then my husband met someone who taught him how to pray with faith and the obstacles melted away.

We spent four years at seminary, I was ordained a pastor, and I wrote fantasy novels because I needed a way to explore a new way of thinking about the world.

That was making a long story short! Whew!

I had been a pastor for almost two years when I sensed God telling me something. I had to sit in prayer for four hours before I understood what God was saying: "I am preparing a place for you at the Catholic church." Now, why would he do that? The Catholics don't let women be priests, so my education wouldn't be any use!

A few months later I became disabled and couldn't be a pastor anymore. I needed a new place to worship and, in all obedience, went to the Catholic church! It's not a place I would have chosen for myself, but once I got there, I was home.

In his book, Acts of Faith, Eboo Patel tells about visiting the Dalai Lama. Eboo's parents were Muslims who immigrated to the U.S. from India, but Eboo (and his friend Kevin) were exploring Buddhism and taking lessons in Buddhist meditation from a Christian monk, who sent them to meet the Dalai Lama. Eboo listened to Kevin describe how Buddhist meditation was leading him to explore his Jewish roots. In fact, when the Dalia Lama asked, Kevin said (for the first time) that he was a Jew.

Eboo writes, "Then he turned to me. I started getting a little nervous... The Dalai Lama was about to ask me about my religion... I was a total failure at Buddhist meditation."

Zen Buddhist meditation focuses on emptying the mind, but Eboo found that he spent all his time "shoving thoughts out" and "being mad at myself for being a bad Buddhist."

As he continued to wait for the Dalai Lama to turn his attention to him, Eboo considered the fact that he had recently been allowing one of those thoughts into his mind and "had allowed it to linger long enough to get a sense of what it was. I could not have been more shocked at the discovery: "Ya Ali, Ya Muhammed"--the prayer that my mother had taught me when I was a child."

Eboo had not said that prayer for many years, but "here it was floating in my head, still woven into my being. I decided to let it stay."

After listening to the Dalai Lama and Kevin talk about Buddhist meditation and Judaism, it occurred to Eboo that maybe he had been inadvertently practicing a Muslim form of prayer which focuses the mind on a particular Muslim prayer word or phrase. "Perhaps Buddhist meditation had brought the Muslim spirituality from deep within me to the surface. Perhaps this was God's gentle way of telling me something."

The Dalai Lama turned to Eboo, not to ask a question, but to make a statement: "You are a Muslim," he said.

"Yes," Eboo answered.

The Dalai Lama giggled. "Islam is a very good religion."

Eboo and Kevin told the Dalai Lama about their interest in starting a youth interfaith movement.

"This is very important," the Dalai Lama said. Then he made several points about the interfaith movement that Eboo and Kevin later called the Interfaith Youth Core:
1. it is important for religions to dialogue
2. it is most important for religions to come together to serve others.
3. Finding common values between different religions is important.
4. As you study other religions, it is important to study your own religion and believe more in your own.

6 comments:

  1. S.L. ,
    So what your trying to get is young people to talk about religions and experiences, doubts, beliefs, questions about other religions, because in talking about other faiths you learn more about your own and therefore grow in faith?

    If thats the case then i guess my first question would be if we as people are progressive, then why doesnt our religion progress with us? Take the Bible for instance its thousands of years old but people still take it literally? I dont think it is meant to take literally i think everyone should get their own meaning from it and live their lives based on that, but even still why doesnt the bible progress as we do? Because the messages will get watered down? But that doesnt really matter considering the fact that lets say 70% + of catholics/christians actually read the bible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J.Keane, If you are able to get your own meaning from the Bible and live your life based on that--all these years after it was put on paper--then hasn't it progressed? But you don't mention how you're able to do that. Can you be specific?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesomeness, loved it! so this is what your book is going to be about? About these kids starting a youth inter-faith movement?

    -Uqbah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it hasn't progressed per se its stories are just fundamental but still dont apply to our daily lives. I get my own meaning from the bible like the story of adam and eve, we werent all created from 2 people thats very unrealistic...even with faith. I believe it was a story to tell us that we are all born and are all going to sin but even the worst sin can be forgiven because God forgives all sins. But it also shows that sins can be terrible and can change your lives if you shy away from God. A side meaning was also that we are all brothers and sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uqbah, the book will be about a Christian girl and Muslim boy who are buddies and who go to an interfaith group meeting together. I'm hoping that people who post on this blog can tell me what kinds of things they might argue about because I need them to argue in my book. I'll see if I can explain more about the book in the next part of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh, there are two creation stories in Genesis. Humanity is created in God's image in Genesis 1:27. So what? Well, if we are in God's image, there can't be a parallel universe with totally different laws because we embody the reason, the image, the "logic," of God.

    One of the things I love about the Gen. 1 creation story is that God celebrates all of the material world as good. It explains why people get excited about material things--God is in them! It also explains why people get confused and worship material things instead of God.

    In Gen. 1, God does not take human form and creates through the spoken word.

    The second story of the creation of humanity begins at Gen. 2.7 and is considered by scholars to be much older. God is more like a person himself and creates a human (adam) from earth (adamah).

    Note that God sets it up so we will eat of the tree of knowledge, which causes separation and exile from the innocence of the garden, but makes it possible for us to "grow up" and be people with knowledge of good and evil--we can choose to worship God or to worship something less than God. Is it a sin to be fully human? Not really, but no one can be fully human without experiencing the separation from God that is sin.

    I'm glad you asked these questions because the characters in my story visit the garden. I need to think about your comments and see what light they throw on that chapter. Thanks, Josh!

    ReplyDelete